Thursday, May 5, 2011
mingling social class
In our society we belong to some sort of class, even if we think they don't exist. In the movie we are watching we had some middle class kids go down to a bar and hang out with blue collar people. From the middle class point of view they did not see a problem hanging around there and seemed to enjoy themselves. A few of the blue color people loved having the polite middle class kids hanging around, but some felt that it was disrespectful for them "trying" to fit in. That itself is proof of the social class. Those kids belonged to a different class and some people rejected them. Now the question is was it disrespectful of those middle class kids to go to that bar? Or were those kid just having fun and being friendly. It truly is up for interpretation because the way I saw it was that they just wanted to have fun with the people in the bar. I could easily see how those people in the bar would take offense to it because they came into the bar and somewhat acted like they knew everything, and did make fun of some people. It doesn't really matter how you interpret it because its split no matter what. One time I decided to sit with some different people at lunch. I had happened to know one of the kids at the table already so I thought why not. I sat down and said hi to everyone there. The surprising part was that some of the people were friendly and some kind of gave me the cold shoulder. This is kind of the same idea of mingling between social classes, because I wasn't really friends with those kids and one random day I tried to be nice to them and it seems different. This idea of being separated by social class is everywhere and there are boundaries that are set up in our society.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with you. I feel like people try to look their best and act like they are top dog, and they are not comfortable with who they are.
ReplyDeleteIt's interesting how people feel comfortable or make others uncomfortable based on class. It seems like a bad judge of character.
ReplyDelete