Thursday, January 27, 2011

outliers

This week in sociology we discussed the excerpt "outliers" basically the idea of outliers was about how our social groups such as who we are close to or where we live have an affect on us as people. It is hard not to agree with this because we are around those people or things for so long that some ideas must rub off on us and shape who we are. For example in "outliers" there was a lower level of people with heart disease. A man named Wolf was curious about that situation. The explanation was that the environment those people lived in somehow made them healthier. Not because they lived healthier lives because they lived just as unhealthy as everyone else. Something they did have was a connection with everyone in the town. That connection those people had made them have less risk of having heart problems. This idea is about people being affected by their social groups. In this example the town all those people lived in acted as their social group and because of there happiness and peace they had less of a risk. There was nothing medically that Wolf could find with the village, so he shifted his idea towards the idea that the people were healthier because of the the values and ideals of the isolated village. For me one example of being affected by my social groups is when I hang out with my friends. When we all hang out there are certain things we do and certain things we don't do. After a while those ideas of we do and what we don't do rub off and even when I'm not with my friends sometimes I won't do certain things because I those ideas have been instilled in me. Now I'm no trying to say everything we do has an affect, but to just understand that because I hang out with a certain group I am affected because of what we do.

3 comments:

  1. I like what you said about things naturally rubbing off on people after a long period of time. It makes sense that where we live and who we are with will eventually end up shaping who we are, because that's what we are constantly surrounded by. We are bound to become influenced by things we are always exposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott- very insightful. One lesson we will learn this semester is that people are influenced by the people around them, just like you explained.

    ReplyDelete